Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fear is a darkroom where negatives develop.





My wife has been telling me for months to start a blog where I post a new photograph every day for a full year and for months I have agreed with her and yet still haven't done it. Until now.




The quote that I used for this post's title is why.



By the way, the quote is from Usman B. Asif. Who is Usman B. Asif? Fucked if I know, I tried googling him/her to find out and all I could find is this quote and the overly detailed description"Usman B. Asif is a famous person."




Back to the quote, I have seen it interpreted to mean things like "the fear of failing is what drives you on or motivates you" personally I think that is bullshit thought up by people afraid to admit what it really means. On one hand fear is good as it keeps you from doing stupid things like playing in traffic or singing karaoke, but on the other hand fear is what creates most if not all of our negative thoughts. Fear is what has kept me from doing so many things that I should have done, sometimes justifiably but in most cases, not. Fear is why this blog did not start months ago. What if no one looks? What if everyone hates my photos? What if people say I suck? What if I DO suck? and so on... I am pretty sure this is why I rarely post to Flickr as well. It is fear that has generated these negative thoughts, so obviously the fear of failure hasn't motivated jack... in fact it has done the exact opposite... until now.




So I guess the question is why now? There is a reason and I know it... but at the moment I really do not feel like typing it as I rambled on quite a bit over this stupid quote... and the elusive Usman B. Asif enough already.




Actually I really like the quote... so for now lets just say I shoot in digital, so there really isn't any need for a darkroom and I have decided to close it down.




Maybe another time I will get into how and why this blog is up and running, what the name means, and what motivates me, not to mention the rules of the blog, but who knows... the truth is that the blog is supposed to be about photos.

I call the picture at the top "Catch."


G

No comments:

Post a Comment